Thursday, December 16, 2010

I Chalice


"There will always be poor people in the land. Therefore I command you to be openhanded toward your brothers and toward the poor and needy in your land."

-Deuteronomy 15:11


Throughout the year, St. Charles parishioners are very generous to those less unfortunate, but they are even more generous at Christmas time. In the last several years, Samaritan’s Purse has been the benefactor of our generosity. This year it was time for a change and we chose support another worthy cause. Those of you who have been at the Church will notice the tree and table exhibit in the foyer displaying information about I Chalice.


Walter, Madelaine and Luke Kotowich are spearheading this endeavor. I asked Walter how he heard about this organization. “We first heard about I Chalice in the Prairie Messenger last year. Later we used this charity's gift catalogue for our son Luke's First Holy Communion. It was a big hit with family and friends who wanted to give Luke a monetary present. They were all very impressed that Luke wanted to use the money for needy families in poor countries. They were very supportive and very generous!”


I asked Walter to tell me about the organization. He explained, “I Chalice is one of many fine charities helping the poor in needy areas. It was recognized this past year by MoneySense Magazine as one of the best run Canadian foreign aid charities. The organization has very low financial overhead; thereby ensuring that a higher percentage of donated money actually goes to those in need instead of toward expensive advertising and office expenses.”


When I asked Madelaine how this involvement in I Chalice has affected their family she told me, “Luke feels good about helping families in the Third World. He especially likes ordering items from the catalogue! It's a practical way for children to learn a deeper appreciation of Christmas and become a little more connected to the rest of humanity in the neediest areas in this world.”


We all like to shop. Why not buy a meaningful gift for someone who really needs the help? A purchase through I Chalice can change someone's life forever!


No comments:

Post a Comment