Tuesday, May 1, 2012

House of Hesed Dinner Theatre Earns Rave Reviews

St. Charles parishioners Pat and Fred Olsen enjoyed
the dinner theatre production "Peril on the High Seas"
“Good food, good company, a crazy cast of characters - and a trip on a ship to London. What more could we want?” Anna
"An energetic, creative and zany cast who had us smiling, laughing and tapping our toes. What a great night!! " Alice

This weekend St. Charles Parish was treated to some hilarity on the high seas. For the fifth consecutive year, the twelve member cast of the House of Hesed Dinner Theatre presented an evening that was throughly enjoyed and appreciated by three nights of sold-out audiences. The play was written by Billy St. John and adapted for the group by director David Turnbull. St. Charles parishioner Ron Labbe undertook the job of producer.

The Mission of the House of Hesed is to provide a home for persons living with HIV/AIDS regardless of race, creed, gender, or sexual orientation. They provide a home-like setting promoting a physical, emotional, social, and spiritual quality of life. House of Hesed is committed to affirming the value of each person who resides with them, and educating the community about HIV/AIDS to help dispel the stigma and fear surrounding those living with HIV, replacing it with a spirit of compassion.

Over the past five years, the dinner theatre has raised close to $100,000 for the House of Hesed.

I spoke to Ron Labbe and asked him a few questions about his involvement with the House of Hesed Dinner Theatre.


What motivates you to put such a huge amount of time and energy in this project?


I am retired and have a little more time to commit to something large like this. I have always done volunteer work, it is in my nature. I receive as much as I give when working with people. Being with people is important to me. Things do not have to cost money, nor do you have to receive money to feel the reward. I have always responded to people in need and this is an extension of this. Like I said it is in my nature.


What is the biggest challenge in doing a project like this?


For me the biggest challenge was the learning about theatre production. Until last year, I was on stage not really understanding what goes on behind the scene. Last year as Assistant Producer, I was more involved, so got a taste. This year as Producer I am overseeing everything. There is a lot more than meets the eye. It has been a steep learning curve, even though I was more involved last year.


Is there anything in particular you want people to know about the dinner theatre, the cast or crew?


We are all volunteers. Not one person is paid. I am amazed at the commitment of these people and love the support that we give each other in our lives. They are a rare breed. Once you get to know about the House of Hesed and the love there, you get hooked. Moe's philosophy of love and beliefs are transcended to everyone she touches. She is motovation to all of us.





No comments:

Post a Comment